Gender Based Violence (GBV) is violence directed at an individual based on biological sex, gender identity or socially defined norms of masculinity and femininity.
What are the numbers?
- 1 in 3 women throughout the world will experience physical and/or sexual intimate partner violence or non-partner sexual violence in their lifetime.
- Gender based violence is 35-60% higher among women of color.
Accessing Mental Health Support
- About 40% of women do not seek help for their mental health.
- Instead, they seek informal means of support (approaching friends and family or searching online) instead of formal means (such as healthcare systems).
Barriers to Access
- Friends and Family are not trained and do not have the resources to help survivors.
- Information found online is varied, not culturally relevant and difficult to understand for survivors with limited english proficiency.